Sunday, June 23, 2013

#HappyMoments A 30-day Challenge. Day 11


My kids love this book and it's one of my favorites to read to their classes at school.  Being kind to each other and allowing everyone to have self-worth and dignity is, unfortunately, something that needs to be taught in our schools and mandated by the state as bullying is such a problem.  The book is simple - the reader learns that it is easy and gratifying to be kind, empathetic, and show friendship and love and that doing these things "fill the bucket" of both people, but that being mean or exclusionary leaves both the victim and the perpetrator feeling empty inside.  I have made a concerted effort over the past ten days to be less snarky, but I know a number of adults who need to read this book every. single. day. until they comprehend the message.

I think 30 Days of Happy Moments started as a way for us to look at things more positively (especially me - I can be rather cranky), but after ten days of mostly selfish happy moments, I thought about what I could do that would make someone else happy.  And I did something tonight for someone and although I think it will make her happy, I think it made me happier to do it.  Sometimes the old dog can learn new tricks...

No comments:

Post a Comment